PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Going from a PA38 to a PA28-161?
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2002, 12:18
Cat.S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Well I went ahead and flew it. Everything said was on the button, especially about the nose-down attitude when pulling all three stages of flap up in one go! (This was done at 4000'). I wonder how many times this characteristic has featured in fatal accident reports? On the whole, the experience was a massive disappointment. I'm not exactly small and found the cabin just too narrow to fly comfortably, ie. bum over to the right, therefore legs angled left as hip room too little. Chest angled right as shoulder room not enough and left elbow somewhere level with the centre line of my body- looked like Quasimodo was flying it! The armrests and lack of dished door trim on the PA28 actually mean that I've got 4-5" less room on my side of the cockpit. Guess I'll have to find a TB9/10 if I want to take some of my larger friends flying!

I also found the turning circle, on the ground and in the air, noticeably greater than the Pa38, the brakes less effective and a lot less responsive on the controls. I didn't find the higher speed much of a problem as there is less of a workload flying it than the PA38. It needs far less trimming than the PA38 and the trim is very powerful, but disliked the lack of feel in the electric trim, preferring to use the wheel between the seats. Being tall, 6' 2", I actually found forward visibility better, but obviously less to the side, rear and above. I find it comforting in the PA38 to be able to see above and behind to each side in the circuit, especially at airfields, such as Sleap, when there is no-one on the radio mid-week. It is more stable than I'm used to, but I've got used to the twitchiness of the Terrohawk, although having just begun an IMC course in one, an extra pair of hands would come in useful, especially as there is only 1 VOR fitted!