PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recruitment V Retention: discuss
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2010, 13:45
trap one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R Vs R

There is a fine line that has been crossed, I think some time just after the Cold War peace dividend. Your have to have a constant through put of Young thrusters to Old experience. Once the Drive of the MOD became the "well rounded" Officer/SNCO (and I don't mean on the waist line) then the experienced well trusted older person failed to stay in. Maybe as in my case I got fed up with the PC/HSE outlook and the reduction in time spent on operational tours (Flying/Controlling rather than deployed) as we had to do the Staff/development tours rather than stay doing the jobs we liked/enjoyed. When I first Qualified as an Intercept Controller (92) the first tour was 5 years with the CR tick about 18 months 2 year point. Followed by a possible upgrade to Fighter Allocator or Deputy Controller Training Officer about the 3/3.5 year point for the good guys. The 2nd tour being Instructing or exchange/E3/1ACC. When I left in 2005 the first tour was about 2 years and then into instructing. The experience that was being passed on through no fault of their own was vastly diminished and not all WC's by then were CR when they went to their 2nd tour.

So therefore people don't feel welcome to stay and in fact the outside world with the stability becomes much more attractive and once you have that pension in your armoury then why stay?

Personally when talking to kids who really want to go in, I try and steer them to a trade that will be relevant outside and make sure that the eyes are opened before the do go in.

Gorilla
Concure