PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts Anyone: Best US locations to do accelerated PPL (FAA) training
Old 15th Jul 2010, 13:22
JakeNYC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Thoughts Anyone: Best US locations to do accelerated PPL (FAA) training

Title: Thoughts Anyone: Best US locations to do accelerated PPL (FAA) training

I’m in the process of narrowing down my search for a flight school in the US. I’m interested in an accelerated programme for PPL (FAA) and potentially IR. Before I even think about narrowing it down to a particular school, I was trying to choose a location that a) would have optimal weather for daily flight in Dec/Jan, b) be visually and potentially geographically interesting (water, mountains, etc.) and c) be a place that my wife would consider visiting during my training (this is the reason Hawaii is on my list).

I live in the UK now but I’m moving back to the US at the end of the year and will have the opportunity to take time off before I start work again in the US. This is the perfect opportunity to finally get my licenses which I’ve been coveting for at least 10 years.

So, I’ve narrowed it down to the following locations, however I’m certainly open to suggestions and any insights or wisdom you could provide.
  • Florida: Lots of sun and a good number of reputable schools I believe.
  • Arizona (Phoenix/Tuscon): With 200+ sunny days per year seems like a good option.
  • Nevada: (Las Vegas area): Again 200+ sunny days per year however it does come with a long list of potential distractions to my training.
  • Hawaii: Only about 100+ sunny days but it seems like an incredible place to learn to fly and the wife would love to visit.
Again, any insights you could provide would be tremendously appreciated and I would welcome recommendations for any particular schools.

Thanks in advance!