PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - This profession for your kids?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2010, 09:03
Cloud Bunny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well obviously thats not what it's all about for me is it otherwise I would have chased the cash not the aeroplanes.
Don't get me wrong, I love my job. For the pure pleasure of flying aeroplanes there is nothing else (other than Pro Golfer) that I would want to do.
However, work to live. And the thing that my friends do have is an enviable lifestyle away from work (they're both in law). They work very hard for it and don't begrudge them anything, but it's the lifestyle that comes with it that makes me wonder if all the work and effort to get into the position I'm in was worth it. 99 times out of 100 my conclusion is "yes" when I'm sat looking down at a beautiful view of the Alps or one of the many other fantastic views we're privaleged to get. But still it would be nice to be to pop out in your Ferrari every now and then wouldn't it?!!
As for which way to encourage the kids (that I don't have!!), well, if they have a particular passion for something then they should be encouraged to follow it. However if they were to ask me of my opinion of becoming a Pilot I would say that the flying is worth it, but all the ****e that comes with it taints it significantly and you have to consider the work/life balance and what careers would maximise that opportunity.