PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tomohawk Trainer down in North Island
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2010, 07:35
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Conflict alert

All those happened while I was overseas, which explains why I didn't know! ZK-USA is fair enough, the others aren't really relevant as they are more to do with the mishandling of the engine failure than a simple inattention to airspeed - remember the context of the discussion is student pilots and training. The Fouga was a loss of control after entering cloud, nothing to do with stalling (it was in a spiral dive when it impacted the Firth of Thames).

The Tiger Moth stalled while performing a climbing turn during a competition.

Biggles78

They were flying through the valleys and end up in a one where they were unable to climb or turn out of it. Now this thread and some of the contributors will babble on about the inappropriate low level training, poor airmanship, low time inexperienced instructors, commercial aspects etc etc were the cause. However it was later revealed that the CHART was at fault. It had been drawn WRONG and showed that the valley was open at the far end.
Well, I for one do not fly around in confined valleys while reading a map! You look out the front and make sure that you always have an escape route, even if that means a reversal turn. What you absolutely DON'T do is continue down what is clearly a blind valley past the point where you can't get out of it. The map is used for overall situational awareness and planning, sure, but that's it (well that's how I do it, anyway).

I am not familiar with the mountainous areas of the North Island but I can imagine that it is going to be much the same as where I flew since it is after all part of the same mountain range. Therefore, a similar problem could have been a contributing factor.
It's similar, not as high and not as extensive of course, but mountain ranges are mountain ranges pretty much everywhere, and the same rules apply.

Can't remember reading anything about the weather but if there was turbulance then during a couple of heavy bounces the "navigation finger" could easily slip and point to the wrong valley.
There was a big high sitting over the area, perfect cloudless blue skies and virtually no wind.

I hear what you are saying about the dud chart, but really flying around in valleys is all about local knowledge, and always making sure you have an escape route. Airmanship, in other words.