PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VH-PGW PA-31P-350 15 June 2010 Crash Investigation
Old 15th Jul 2010, 05:46
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RatsoreA

I think many folk here would think that the post by Jamair has quite a lot of merrit. Unlike yours!

Despite the "shallow fog" and it must have been pretty light, others were doing ILS practice there just prior, what I have learned from this is, in a sick running single, or a engine out twin piston, take the ILS below you, be slightly high on the GS, and hold a stable approach even if its a very shallow fog, because a mostly in control touch down on a large wide runway trumps tracking over suburban Sydney every day.

Note to the above comment: in the case of an engine failing from an unknown fault (i.e may be fuel related for example, rather than oil up the cowls from a broken crank or rod), you need to assume that your remaining engine may not be a sure thing. If its a genuine engine failure and you are 100% sure the other will do the job, then fair enough. It is fair to say in this case neither these two points were clear cut.

No doubt some here will argue this.........

J