PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VH-PGW PA-31P-350 15 June 2010 Crash Investigation
Old 15th Jul 2010, 04:57
Biggles78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could we PLEASE not have the idiot posts in this thread that resulted in the other one being locked.

I didn't know Andrew (or Kathy) but I hope that through the actions taken by Andrew this thread can be used so that we can all learn something and not end up with the same tragic result.

Why was the aircraft descending at such a rate? I do not know the PA31 but the ROD seems excessive.
Do you think the pilot may have been complying with ATC "instructions" and deliberately descended rather than "drift down" and maintain a height advantage?
0752:12 - ATC instructed the pilot to maintain 5,000 feet.
0754:35 - Soon after, ATC instructed the pilot to descend to 2,500 ft and advised that Richmond airport was two miles to the south of the aircraft if the pilot could not maintain height. The pilot advised that the aircraft was on a ‘slow descent’. At this time, the aircraft was descending through 4,700 ft with a groundspeed of 163 kts.
[I bolded the above]
  • Is 1,000 fpm considered a slow descent in this aircraft with one engine out?
  • Is the height lost during the turn back to Bankstown a reasonable amount to be expected during this time? (Engine checks, shutdown, secure engine etc)
  • What is the Blue Line speed on the PA31?
  • Several witnesses reported hearing a ‘spluttering’ engine sound. Could this spluttering sound have been caused by the throttle being closed for the landing? (keeping in mind that spluttering to us can mean something quite different to non aviators) Again I do not know this aircraft and how it behaves.