PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which is the best helicopter for training?
Old 1st Aug 2002, 09:42
CRAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
moosp -

The two certified diesel engines available at the moment are not really suitable for helicopters. They're just too heavy. Maybe Lycoming and Continental can come up with something better.

The Eclispe jet avionics, is (from what I can assertain) a system being developed in-house for that aircraft. It will be rather difficult to certify since is is based on 'computer-industry' technology. Furthermore, of the flat panel EFIS systems on the market at the moment that are certified are very nice, BUT, they cost about half the selling price of the aircraft!! I'm sure Uncle Frank would fit them in the R22 if you wanted them and were prepared to pay $220K for the privalige!

Dave -

The purpose of this thread and the 'What about light helicopters needs fixing' was to determine what the requirements should be for a second generation training helicopter. The threads provide these answers quite nicely...the only remaining question is where should the line be drawn between, performance & safety and DOC's.

How do you get the DOC's down.....well I could tell you, but then I would have to...

CRAN

Last edited by CRAN; 1st Aug 2002 at 09:45.