PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2010, 15:33
jetset lady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by R Knee
If the regulators (CAA etc.) deem it legal then it the shortfall may be the lifestyle of those complaining.
Hang on a second, R Knee. I wasn't complaining, although I did jokingly apologise for my whinge fest! I was asked if the rostering practices at LGW provide any benefits to the company. My answer was that in my opinion, whilst they may short term, long term could be a different matter. Now, this lifestyle thing you talk about. What's one of those then?

It is the responsibility of crew to ensure they make the best effort to maximise their rest period to comply. There are ample opportunities within those regulations to enjoy 'stopovers', and this has been and should remain a benefit of the job. However, it is also the crew's (including FO's) responsibility to inform the aircraft commander of any shortfall in their rest requirements and any captain must take this into consideration before allowing their participation as one of his crew, especially when deciding to operate into allowable extensions of duty hours.
Yes, it is the responsibility of the crew to maximise the rest but that's not always as easy as it sounds. This is the week I am currently halfway through...

Fri - Report 1650 LGW-XXX-LGW
Sat - Clear LGW 0025 Report 2105 LGW-XXX-LGW
Sun - Clear LGW 0720
Mon - Day Off
Tues - Report 0605 LGW-XXX-LGW-XXX Clear 1310
Wed - Report 0520 XXX-LGW-XXX-LGW Clear 1315
Thu - Report 1355 LGW-XXX-LGW-XXX Clear 2225
Fri - Report 1510 XXX-LGW-XXX-LGW Clear 0045

(Tues and Thur were/are out station nightstops and I have taken out the destinations to try to protect my identity somewhat)

That roster is perfectly legal but I have gone from 2 deep night flights, had one day off and then straight onto early flights. And before this, I'd had 2 days off following 3 days of shorthaul and a bullet longhaul so a 6 day run and time zone change. Maximising your rest isn't easy when you're constantly jumping around like that.

That is the problem we have at LGW. The above is not an abnormal roster and yes, it can be sustained in the short term but long term, we are running into problems.

I don't actually blame the company, although I think more research could have been carried out at the start. As I said, my previous airline had had many years of practice to hone mixed fleet rosters. (Is hone a word? Sounds right but looks wrong and my brain won't come up with an alternative!) I suspect the messages we have been passing on to the union have not made it as far is the ears that matter, due to union leader's preoccupation with what is happening up at LHR. (The LGW reps have tried, to give them their due but have had no back up from the union.) That is why we need proper representation to talk with the company. But as Diplome said, right now BA have more important problems to deal with. Once things have settled, we will be able to talk to them and hopefully come up with some compromises.

The difficulty with making it clear to the Captain etc is that as said, it's all perfectly legal. There's nothing the flight crew can do unless we decide to go fatigued at which point the company will reply, "But it's legal!" And that goes for any airline, not just BA. I'm sure many flying crew from many airlines around the world have heard those words! Just because it's legal, it doesn't make it right. Maybe the laws need looking at. And maybe all airlines need to be reminded that that maximum allowable hours are there for safety reasons, not as a target to be reached.....

However, for the record, I have never operated a flight if I have felt I will be putting crew and passengers at risk.