PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which taildragger to learn in?
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2002, 09:21
stiknruda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aerbabe you babe!

Read this last night and rather than auto-respond, I cogitated overnight.

The Chipmunk is a delight to fly with beautifully harmonised controls and is a descendant (well almost) of the DH82A Tiger moth.

However they are probably quite expensive to rent, mind you - once you've mastered it in the circuit then you can go and do very gentle "Sunday morning aeros" and even some benign spins.

The Kitfox would probably work out a whole lot cheaper, though. I have only about 40 mins in an early variant some time ago but IIRC it is very prone to PIO or phugoids. Something techie to do with low speed/weight and quite a powerful elevator. I must confess that I did not really fall in love with it but as a device to show you what your feet are for on the ground and during the take-off roll and then roll out it might be sensible to start on this for an hour or two.

It might be financially sensible to do some time on both, with the idea that you'd actually finish off on the Chipmunk.

Other aeroplanes that are worth considering are Taylorcraft, Aeroncas and as stated the J3/L4 Cubs and some of the smaller Jodels. Being an impecunious stude rock-chick, it might even be worth casting your eyes further than just Coventry.

Of course, as previously discussed you are always welcome to have a go in my Pushpak to give you some idea what the whole thing is about!

I'd also recommend a look at Plourde's book, The Complete Taildragger but probably not until you're almost ready to do your conversion. I understand that Cubair at Redhill produce a good little tailwheel primer that a 'phone call and a bit of girlie charm might procure for you!

Cheers

Stik