PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2010, 14:16
Betty girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

Thanks Hotel mode. Yes I think you are right it should be chocks not 30 mins after chocks, my mistake, I apologise for that but of course that makes no difference to the rest requirement on the Hong Kong flights.

And yes you are right it can be broken up (but you will notice that I did not say it had to be in one block).This is however not done because with the added extra changeover times from one half of the crew to the other this would actually take up more time when crew could not be used to do the services onboard.

As I explained a mid flight meal could be done in between the two sets of cabin crew breaks but as I said, even on a day flight alot of passengers prefer to sleep and don't want to be woken up halfway through the flight and as I also said, there is only enough catering space for two meals.

However I have heard of a Capetown day sector where the CSD did actually serve the second meal between the two cabin crew breaks because the first meal that had been served was a small snack and all the passengers were very hungry. That was of course a decision he took on the day, it was not the way BA had laid down that it be done.

My post was, though, in reply to a poster who was insisting that the crew rest was a union agreement and was the cause of no food mid flight. I was explaining that the breaks were a CAA requirement and taken in the middle of the flight because that is the way BA wants it, nothing to do with the union. So that is why I went into so much detail but even with all that detail people still choose to rubbish it.

Thanks though for confirming that cabin crew legaly require rest in flight as well as pilots. Many people just think of us as waiters and waitreses but of course as well as that we have to be rested enough to conduct an evacuation if required etc.etc.

Many thanks