PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2010, 12:48
Wrathmonk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The real problem lies with the RAF who have backed the wrong horse with Typhoon. They should get real and go hell for leather with F35
Not forgetting that when horse called Typhoon was originally backed (as Eurofighter EFA .... then EF2000 etc)the Berlin Wall was still standing....

Sadly, and to use RP terminology, to swap horses now would result in a huge 'up arrow' when we are looking for 'down arrows'. Cancelling further Typhoon orders saves nothing (or as close to it). Selling them to a third party doesn't help as the other nations will cry 'foul' and insist we still purchase our agreed amount before selling them on (perhaps even at a loss, and thats assuming we can find a buyer ..... www.webuyanyaircraft.com anyone???)

I believe we need the carriers. But we can't afford them (let alone all the support vessels that goes with them). I believe we need F35 (but would prefer the non VSTOL version). But we can't afford either of them. The carrier is therefore going to be seen as a big, easy target if it is not played correctly. The majority of the Army is safe for at least 5 years (apart from heavy armour but then the personnel will be re-brigaded to 'feed' the front line roulement). The RAF has little left in the cupboard to strip out (a couple of GR4 squadrons perhaps, JFH and the E3s? MRA4??). So where is this 10-40% saving coming from. From any uncommitted money. So how much of the carrier contract remains truly uncommitted? And if the Harrier goes in the SDSR then where is the 'capability bridge' for the carriers whilst we await F35 (or whatever) to come along?

Some dark days ahead - fingers crossed we'll get 1 carrier and just hope it's not needed in its five yearly visit to the dry dock. Of course, come the Winter I will hopefully have been proved wrong with 2 carriers confirmed, 30+ F35B FE etc etc. But I won't hold my breath.