PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford Aviation Academy (Merged 2010)
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2010, 08:45
clanger32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adios,
On re-reading, you are perhaps correct that there isn't a specific statement of "It was gusting 35k AND I landed in it", but the following quote implies strongly that whatever landing was made was well outside of limits. I for one am yet to see a "....300/05g35" TAF....

And I'll have you know that there were plenty of times it was gusting 30 knots straight across the runway at Goodyear when we arrived back from solo's and we didnt wither away and die, we dealt with it, and absolutely fine in my case and plenty of others
It's also worth noting that MY contribution here was effectively trying to say "don't feed the troll" - which IMHO Rex did beautifully.

Final point - but reversebucket - you seem to imply (and perhaps I too misread your post) that it was me alone that lobbied for removal of the X wind solo limitation. A) It certainly wasn't - it was all students (just to clear that up!) and B) I'm not quite sure what you'd have OAA do then? Have a ridiculously low X wind limit (on reflection, think it may have been 5kts!) so that no student ever gets to learn or practice X winds, or remove that limit and have a limit imposed by the instructor that reflects the students ability? I for one certainly think that X wind technique was not taught at all well in Oxford, but you DO only learn it by doing it.