PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 7
Thread: Ryanair - 7
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2010, 15:30
Based

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am verry unhappy at the wider impact that the Ryanair business model is having in that airports are introducing a raft of ancillary charges as their business model is forced to adapt to Ryanair's on a "FIFO" basis.
Charging for dropping people off at an airport regardless of how long you take is a personal gripe of mine. I'm not sure you can correlate charges like these exclusively to Ryanair's presence at airports though. For example, I don't believe they're in existence at a majority of Ryanair's bases. Actually it seems to be largely a UK phenomenon at the moment. Birmingham would be a good example of a UK airport where the majority of current traffic is non-loco, non-Ryanair (probably not how Ryanair planned for it to be right now!) but still they have introduced a drop off fee.

The main focus of my argument was attempting to engage in a look forward to see what happens when the rest of the Ryanair model reaches "maturity" in the same way that the UK has.
Your argument of the Ryanair model reaching maturity (rather than the overall market itself) in certain markets would stand up if there was still growth in the overall market but a decline in Ryanair's market share. I'm not sure that this is the case in Ireland or the UK so I'm not seeing the evidence to validate the argument. Please don't confuse this as me suggesting the Ryanair model is infallible.

Cheap Fares but outrageous "optional" charges as I wrote above. Hence at the end of the day, I find it cheaper, as I'm London based, to fly BA.
I don't find BA working out cheaper in some instances either interesting or surprising, nor should anyone else as far as I'm concerned. Ryanair's headline 'cheap' fares are only for passengers who are prepared to fly within Ryanair's terms and conditions (go to the hassle of getting a prepaid Mastercard, taking only hand luggage, etc.). However, if everyone did this, the company would quickly have to change its current business model or face going under quite quickly. Human nature and behaviour is the reason they don't. As long as certain people insist on paying through the nose for excess luggage, getting their boarding cards reprinted, not checking competitors' prices, etc. then there'll be headline cheap fares available to others. A form of cross subsidisation I guess you could say!