PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which is the best helicopter for training?
Old 1st Aug 2002, 02:26
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello gang,

learned to fly in old 47īs and then worked on tuna boats with 47īs for about 1500 hrs. Then into the R22 - took me about 20 hrs to get the autos right (due to lack of confidence of the first instructor).

Personally I find the R22 the best trainer (as long as the instructor / student combo stay within the weight limits....) as it will hone the students skills from zero. I had just as much trouble to get to hover in the 47 as I see students today in the R22.

If you are green and have to learn the helicopter-balance-act it does really not matter in which helo - in a hover they are all unstable!

However if you are in a R22 you are very fast at the performance limits and learn to handle these (although the 47 I learned to fly in where on their limits all the time as well!!), which comes in handy when you are lucky enough to fly for a living later on.

I read, that for example the EXEC-kit helicopter is extremly stable - Jet Ranger like. I never flew one, however the performance figures are just a little behind the R22.
Just one big difference: I have to see yet any EXEC that has close to 4000 hrs of hard work on it (heck show me one with a 1000 hrs!) - the 4000 hr R22 mentioned was of course overhauled at 2000!! (new blades and all - no 7000hr blades here!!)

If you have more than 240 lbs all up weight, well soory you will have to go on a diet or a bigger ship! (R44...!!)

Although the R22 was not intended as a trainer, I think it is the best omne arouind today! If you are fancy and have the doug you always can catch your training in a Ranger or EC120!

Throttlecontrol - no machine better than a R22 - you better control RPM or you lose it fast (without a governor), not like in a 47 where it takes half a day to register any rpm change (though it takes for ever also to get it back up...)

Enstrom - have only one hour in it - way underpowered- even with half fuel on a cold New Jersey morning. A friend had one for some time in the Smokey Mountains - he had to run constantly everything on the red line to make it fly with a pax on board.

And yes, what about that dream two seater, the R22 is still under 170 grand, did the JAG ever fly yet? Until you get one in the air it will cost you past 200 G!

Enough rambled,

3top