PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Blind story- CASA & Qantas maintenance investigation
Old 13th Jul 2010, 11:57
ALAEA Fed Sec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G'day all,

I have a few post to reply to and hope to one at a time. I hope it gives my fellow professionals some insight into why we do what we do as an aviation union.

Is comments such as "it's only a matter of time till an aeroplane hits the side of a hill" really necessary? Honest question, is it a calculated give to make your message 'media worthy'?,
In a nut shell, yes. When I have filmed with TT or any other outlet for that sake, all they want you to do is mention one word - crash. It gives them their sensationalism and a story. By talking about the side of a hill, it may be the difference between a story that lasts 3 minutes or one that runs for 10. The underlying story that those in the industry would understand needs to be told in as simple terms as possible. Talking about the migration of the fastenings for the flap torque tube that had been lockwired with the incorrect gauge lockwire doesn't really resonate with the public. I will do what it takes to get these extremely serious issues aired publically however I can.

Steve, have you considered talking to and joining fronts with AIPA? It would seem both AIPA and ALEA have a very similar agenda.
We work extremely close with Barry and his team, had dinner with him and Graeme a couple of weeks back and will be going out to dinner with Barry and Dave B Thu night. Our President Paul Cousins and I are already penned in to attend the next AIPA Comm meeting in a couple of weeks. Woodsie showed up in the Fed court a couple of weeks back over my election dramas and the Ex General Manager Peter Somerville is now our General Manager. We do work together very closely, have common foes and challenges and both groups have to deal with our biggest bugbear - CASA.