PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who uses electronic means of approach plate display?
Old 13th Jul 2010, 08:45
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flitestar is the flight planning program.

Jeppview 3 is the approach plate program. It has some primitive route planning facilities but is ultimately crippled by the inability to generate a plog.

Jeppview 3 has a "VFR charts" option which as far as I can tell is a replacement for the old printed Bottlang guides.

Jepp pricing has always been controversial but they are seemingly unable to charge less because they price is set for their commercial users who pay some £3000/year for a worldwide package. Even the all-Europe package is about £2k. So GA gets screwed.

Unlike in the USA, the European CAAs have published their free plates in a large A4 format which is not very cockpit-usable, thus playing into the hands of the Jepp monopoly. I once asked the CAA man why they do this and his reply was that they are not in the business of competing with commercial data providers!

If you want cheap approach plates, you can make friends with commercial pilots (which a lot of people do ) or you can use the free ones which most European countries publish on their national CAA websites. The latter are not very good, partly due to a lack of standardisation in the symbology.

Paper data is no cheaper than electronic data and is a bit pointless these days. The updating alone is a big waste of time and that is just for the UK.

Back to the subject of electronic plates, what worries me is the backup situation if the electronic device packs up, which is obviously a possibility for that, but not for paper.