PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who uses electronic means of approach plate display?
Old 13th Jul 2010, 08:13
m_cudin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi all, maybe I'm a little bit out of topic but I need some info regarding e-charts and jeppesen products. I've tried to understand more looking at jepp website but I still have some doubts.
I'm a private pilot flying almost in VFR, a couple of months ago I've bought the FliteStar VFR (Europe) for flight planning purposes. Well, once installed I've noticed that in this software package aerodrome and terminal charts are not included. Then I've seen another software, the Jeppview. It seems that this instrument is a flight planner PLUS a chart database and, of course, viewer. So is it Jeppview more complete than Flitestar or does it perform other activities and both together are required for a complete set of flight planning and aerodrome charting?
More easily, what should I buy in order to have the aerodrome charts on my Flitestar software? the costs of jeppview plus the required chart package are tremendous!! I've spento something like 150€ for Flitestar, I don't like so much the idea to spend other 150€ ONLY for Jeppview software PLUS other money for the chart database, depending on area coverage that one wants to buy. Moreover, jeppesen is pushing a lot to sell e-charts instead paper version (the old bottlang manual, to say...) especially pointing on the environment impact that papaer charts have. Well, i really appreciate this, but when I see that a paper manual + 1 year revision service costs me half of the price compared with the electronic version...well...I think that Jeppesen has made some mistakes somewhere!!! I mean, for sure the e-charts are more reliable and easy to use...but if the price is double than paper version, for sure a private pilot would choose the cheaper option, isn't it??

I really hope that someone can help me to clarify my doubts...

thanks in advance and happy landings to everybody!!!!