PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cyprus style Meze
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2010, 06:34
Vim_Fuego

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About 23 years ago I had my 18th in Cyprus...There used to be a couple of kebab houses not far from the camp...Chris's and I think the other one was called the Swan? Anyway at that tender age I sat in wonder watching the crusty old experienced types ruthlessly haggling with the waiter for Kokkinelli...It went along the lines of 'So we'll pay for 5 you give us 15 for free'...And then you'd only be paying pennies for the ones that you did get stung for...Toasted squeaky cheese sometimes sandwiched with a piece of ham was always my favourite!

Off topic but worth the tale...There for a week on the Nimrod(MR2) ...went down town till late O' clock so cab drops off at gate which as most of you know is sodding miles from where you sleep...None of us fancy the walk so set up camp sat on the kerb chatting to guards waiting for other sort of cab to come get us...Getting later now and still no wheels when the milk delivery van pitches up...As he stops at the gate to secure his entry a number of quick thinking Nim guys cling to the back of his truck without him knowing and off he sets...Myself and another dry guy opt to wait and a couple of minutes later a cab arrives...we set off cursing our much cleverer colleagues who are probably in bed by now for free...Get back to 12 man room to discover its empty...Can't think of a solution so bed down as its now really late and briefings beckon in the AM...About 2 hours later the rest stumble through the door coughing, puking and cursing with bits of bondu sticking out of their hair and clothing...The milk truck had set off at a healthy pace of about 50-60 MPH causing them to cling like spider monkies before hanging a right down to the hospital hitting every bump on the way...On stopping at the hospital he was most shocked (near heart attack apparently) to discover lots of people collapsed in a white faced heap at the back of his truck..After much shouting from the driver they were forced to jog/yomp (with bellies full of all the usual Cypriot social products) across open country back to the blocks which I'm lead to believe is no short distance! I miss those days....