PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sandtoft Fly In Saturday 7th August 2010
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2010, 00:01
7of9

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can the public visit on the ground? My eight year old nephew-by-choice [well what can an avowed atheist call his godson? ], is a regular watcher at Sandtoft and I recently gave him his first ever flight there so I would like to suggest to his mum that they drop-in to look at the visitors (keeping land-side, obviously).

Sadly, cannot fly-in myself, I'm already booked on another fly-in the next day and neither the wallet nor the family would stand me flying all weekend!
Of course any one is welcome whether flying in or coming in by car. Please do visit.

Could I just mention that the dreaded high-vis vests, as mentioned above for photographer/enthusiasts, can be confusing for incoming aircraft when one is conditioned (vaguely) to expect any marshallers to be wearing same? As one lands, there is often a crowd of photographers and ones concerns are to taxy as required, get to the parking and not bump into anyone, not necessarily in that order. Trying to sort out marshallers from others is much easier if only those who need them are wearing them.

Not knowing the arrangements yet to be made for parking, I may well be out of order, but I know this has been an issue at some popular places where the number of people wearing the day-glo 'authority' all but equalled the number of aircraft. Arriving aeroplane drivers need to know that the person in the yuk-coloured vest waving his arms in helpful fashion is the marshaller, not an enthusiast waving to his mate. Should be obvious, you say, but when there's a sea of spotters, it isn't necessarily so. Personally, I'd like to see a different badge for those designated safe enthusiasts.
Point taken, however as you land Nikky on the radio will give instructions on where to park, we have no marshallers on the airfield, the rule of the club is that anyone airside is supposed to wear Dayglo/Highviz vest.
I will be in charge of any photographers & they will be wearing vests, i will also be making sure that they are aware of taxiing aircraft & will keep them out of harms way.

Thanks for raising the points though.

Cheers Trev