PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weathercock effect in turns
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2010, 21:28
Thomo91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please do not teach anyone this method of turning! A steep turn is probably one of the hardest manoeuvres to complete accurately. In the method you described using "top rudder" you're not flying in a coordinated turn, you're in a slipping turn, which can easily lead to a stall and possibly a spin if bank is increased enough or speed reduced enough. This is probably the most common mistake a flight instructor sees when teaching steep turns. DO NOT USE RUDDER TO KEEP THE NOSE FROM DROPPING!! Make sure all turns are coordinated. The nicely compiled graph on increase in load factor, stall speed, etc. with an increase in bank is only accurate if you are in a coordinated level turn at that bank angle. If you look at your turn coordinator while in a steep turn using "top rudder", the ball will not be centred.
Thanks Italia458, And yes I certainly realize what you're saying (that's why I added the "note") It is more relevant in gliders I guess, but don't worry, the ball is always centered. Not much point in doing a side slip reducing your performance. Like you said some aircraft will really bite if you do it wrong. Keep the ball centered.

Weathercocking is not relative to the ground, it's relative to the wind! If you enter a slip, there is a weathercocking tendency that is prevented by using opposite rudder to remain in the slip.
Yes that's right, it has gone from one position, and 'weathercocked' into another. {compass heading} (ground wasn't a really good example, more a point on the horizon)

I'd highly recommend that if you do your steep turns using "top rudder" then go up and practice doing them properly. It'll feel weird at first but you need to break that habit, it will bite you at sometime!!
Thanks, I will certainly review how I go about it next time I'm up, as I couldn't really tell you what I do at the time as you do what ever you have to without much thought. The ball is always centered though, I make sure of that.

I accept that it may be flippant to say so, but I am very glad that I did not read a thread such as this before learning to fly

Last edited by Thomo91; 13th Jul 2010 at 00:06. Reason: clarification