PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2010, 19:05
Mocamps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jetset Lady,

Can I echo Diplome's comments and say that your contribution is much appreciated. Your post does at least give some idea of the hard work that you put in and I have to say that I could not imagine doing that sort of job long-term as you would surely burn out!

But please tell me, do you think that is the plan? I have heard it say that one of BA's biggest mistakes was in trying to make a career out of what is essentially a short-term job that people do in order to travel and enjoy the perks but ultimately leave and settle down. BA have created a career structure out of it, wrongly thinking that this would engender loyalty and that experienced staff would provide better service. What has happened instead is that people who should have really moved on have then found that they are unable to earn anything like the money they earn as Senior Cabin Crew in BA. They therefore stay on in a job that they find they increasingly do not enjoy and therefore become disillusioned and the whole plan backfires.

Do you think there is any truth in this? And if so, does the new fleet make more sense in the long run? And certainly for we passengers, as I think the general view is that the Gatwick crew are altogether more pleasant and are generally streets ahead of the Heathrow crew in terms of customer service

I personally would prefer not to fly with people like Miss M and Ava Hannah (but then I think they now seem to have retreated to BASSA HQ or LA or whatever!!)

Anyway, many thanks once again for representing your views so well.