PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Age 60 Limit To End
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2010, 16:10
Raymond767

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today the federal Minister for Seniors announced that the federal government is planning to introduce legislation in the next session of Parliament to eliminate mandatory retirement in the federal sector.

The legislation, which will likely not become effective until early 2011, will make all of the above arguments and emotions moot, save for one--that one being the argument that I made above that no-one has yet to address, namely, the only relevant question is in how to adapt to the impending changes.

I have been making the same argument since mid-2006. Very, very few have paid me the respect of addressing that argument, with the vast majority instead choosing to make personal attacks against me and against all those who clearly saw the writing on the wall, while steadfastly denying the futility of their own actions in fighting the inevitable.

Governments banning mandatory retirement generally tend to give about six months lead time from enactment to effective date of the legislation, in order to allow organizations to accommodate the legislative changes. So that means that the effective date of the ban on mandatory retirement will likely arrive at about the same time that the Federal Court releases its decision on the judicial review scheduled for late November.

Nevertheless, the coming Tribunal decisions will still be applicable to all of those who have filed complaints over the course of the last four years, leading to the reinstatement of many previously mandatorily retired pilots.

The Canadian Press report of the Minister's statement can be viewed at the following locations:

Federal policy changes in the works for seniors are no coincidence | Sympatico.ca News

dailygleaner.com - Mandatory retirement may be gone | By HEATHER SCOFFIELD - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada

Last edited by Raymond767; 12th Jul 2010 at 16:42.