PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter pilots flying with EVS´system...
Old 12th Jul 2010, 15:52
Matthew Parsons

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once the system is mature, I can see regulation catching up to technology and allowing such systems in VFR operations.

I think the field of vision is a concern that is most easily managed through helmet mounted, head tracking displays. It's been tried before and computing power was one of the limitations, probably not so anymore.

In my opinion, the bigger concern with the cockpit mounted system is the stability of the aircraft. If you try to fly with sufficient precision to land in a tight confined area with just a small TV screen providing you with approach & hover cues, at the very least you will require an advanced symbology set to give you the information you require (which will require a very precise navigation system, etc). I say at the very least, because you may also require higher order flight control systems. I participated in a symbology study to see if this level of precision is possible in a helicopter with only SAS. It was a challenge.

The other consideration is the weight of the entire system. Yes, I'm safer and more comfortable flying a helicopter without NVG than with, but if the weight of the EVS system is significantly greater then performance comes into question. That's just a maybe, for all I know this whole system weighs less than goggles.

In the end, EVS requires regulatory change and a large increase in the onboard avionics in order to replace NVG. There are benefits to EVS, so I do expect it will become commercially viable at some point, but not immediately.

Just my opinion,
Matthew.