PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weathercock effect in turns
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2010, 05:10
Thomo91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
while in a banked attitude, the entire tail section (vertical stabilizer/rudder and horizontal stabilizer/elevator) controls yaw (and pitch) partially, either eliminating unwanted yaw (coordinated flight), or producing yaw (slip/skid).
Yes that's right, well kinda.

It's a function of your bank, the more bank, the more the rudder controls pitch and the more the elevator controls yaw. A V tail aircraft is a perfect example of what I mean.
I'm not much of an aerodynamicist, but in my layman way of putting it I hope I'm on the right track.

Relative to the airflow:

Trimmed S/L, Aileron is applied, adverse yaw is stopped by rudder input, AoA is increased to maintain height (elevator). Bank angle is maintained at, say, 45 degrees. To do that aileron is neutralized, and so is rudder. What happens if you let go of the stick to the S/L trimmed position? Yes, the nose will fall off the horizon, and everything goes yuk.

Most aircraft I've flown (which is mostly small ultralight stuff, and your average Cessna Single engine types). Only require a little of top rudder past the 45 degree mark, if you want to maintain it for a while. Depending on the day, load, and of course the speed. (note: please ensure you know what the implications of what to much top rudder will do!!)

Back to your quote; Yes the more angle of bank, the more the rudder is used to maintain a nose up position, what is generally known as top rudder.

Elevator however is still only used to increase AoA. I'll leave you to decide what the aircraft will now do.

Another way; In relation to the aircraft, the elevator isn't doing anything to the yaw, rudder still controls yaw no matter what orientation the aircraft is in. Elevator still controls AoA no matter what orientation the aircraft is in.

I reckon you're on the money but it looks like you may be mixing it with a relation to the ground, (no offense intended) you may think, that, as it's now moving along the X axis using elevator instead of rudder (if the aircraft maintained wings level - using rudder only to turn without banking) it now controls yaw. Not the case relative to airflow.

Dunno If I've just confused you all, or if that actually makes sense, I hope it's a bit of the later.