PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR to Bristol Filton
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2010, 23:23
Amcapt89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone,

and many thanks for your help.

If you're simply doing this for the exercise of flying IFR on airways, fine. But it's FL100 for a 35 minute trip in a light piston-engined aircraft. There are three options, of which that's one.

Operationally, I would recommend a simple direct routing at lower level, getting a traffic service from Brize. In my experience, handover to Filton is seamless. There's a slot in the Daventry CTA at FL60 if you need it, and pay attention to Hinton and Weston. You can also fly a similar route low level VFR.

My preference depends upon the weather. Mid-level IFR is the default. If there's significant low level turbulence or icing expected at those levels, I'll go airways. If there's summer convection, with high bases, I'll go VFR below it -- it's easier to avoid the worst of it that way.
This flight will be an IFR flight in order to keep my IR proficient on the Airways system.

Other options like low level IFR or VFR routing, will be considered in case of a denied access to the CAS. The choice will depend on WX, as you mentioned too.

Again, many thanks indeed!