PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford Aviation Academy (Merged 2010)
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2010, 21:46
Artie Fufkin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another thread started by a budding young aviator discending into childish bickering about "my course was better than your course". A fine example to show the lad, who has shown us all how sensible one can be aged 14 by asking professionals in the industry he aspires to enter for help. And look how you repay him!

To the OP; as to whether OAA or indeed any school gives you better job prospects is a matter of some debate. When the question is asked you usually get a lot of heated responses, mainly from people trying to justify the descisions they took themselves. The matter has never been proven one way or the other - the argument rolls on.

From my own experiences of passing through flight training, (5 or 6 years ago), both the size of the "integrated premium", and the improved job prospects it provides was largely exagerated by both sides of the divide to suit their own argument. Indeed, I remember the day I joined my airline; we were all down the bar and an integrated student said that he wished he'd gone modular and saved money as there was an even mix of integrated / modular students sitting in the bar, starting the same job as him. The modular student next to him laughed and said that in the end he'd spent nearly as much it costs to do an integrated so would probably have preferred to go down the integrated route after all.

The above story displays well the type of person airlines are after.

As has been said above, keep a good ear out as to what suits you best at the time you want to start training. At the moment the cadet scheme with Thomas Cook and Flybe are by far the best options, if you can get in. No doubt in a few years time it will all be different.

Best of luck