PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FSA article: a MATTER of DEGREE
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2010, 15:46
sparcap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The article is clearly biased as many have elaborated upon. Stereotypical intolerance and insecurity seem to pervade the many balanced responses thus far.

I don’t believe a degree influences employers to any significant extent (nor should it).

To those who doubt the validity and relevance of the true technical degree’s, does one also value a number in a logbook as opposed to the journey travelled to accomplish it? The same applies to those who set out upon a degree simply to accomplish a piece of paper. The true lasting result, regardless of the path chosen, is the attitude and knowledge, gained through true understanding. Either way, it comes down the resolve and attitude of the individual, what one makes of the opportunities presented.

Largely I believe it comes down to one’s situation, background and goals. Personally I come from a background of no connection to Aviation, however I could imagine working in no other industry, simply in the blood so to speak. If I was to loose the privilege of working as a pilot, a career as a maintenance or design engineer would be in my sights, failing that, operations etc etc. Given this, I chose to complete a technically oriented degree and frankly would do the same over again. Someone from a different background or goal set may choose alternatively.

Neither can be stereotyped or isolated and compared generically.

The one overriding influence I took away from my degree is that I understand a small amount about the many facets of the juggernaut that is Aviation, yet not much about any of them. To assume otherwise is an arrogant and ignorant stance, unfortunately adopted far to often by fellow pilots.

Tolerance and respect are virtues of fleeting, Aviation is a lifelong learning process, and to forget or believe otherwise is none other than dangerous.

How dare you disassociate a degree with self-funded students, simply ignorance at it's best.