PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help focus the cuts on the right areas
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2010, 12:49
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
SDSR

The MOD is consulting widely across Defence, Industry, FCO and Acadaemia (I'm not sure if direct representations are taken from the public). It is interesting to note that the DCDC Strategic Trends 2006* document (looking forward to 2035, IIRC) already reads a little dated - it didn't see the financial crash and the limitations on spending that this has imposed - and, arguably, instability that may result from it.
The UK - in spite of what the metropolitan elite might think - have enormous presence and credibility abroad. Amongst the Commonwealth (treated by the previous administration as an embarrasing anachronism), members still look to Britain on leadership on global issues and hold our forces in extremely high regard and expect us to use them accordingly - even in the Indians deplore the fact we got rid of batmen...

By the way we need to get away from linking UNSC seat with holding a nuclear deterent. As a victo nation, we got the seat in 1945 (before having nukes) and it isn't a requirement to ahve them, and any plans to reform the UNSC would require the P5 to vote on it...and the UK could veto any undesirable outcome. I was recently in New York and speaking to several PERMREP staff (from UK, US and France) it was clear that there are no serious attempts to reform the Security Council (and compromise the role of current P5).

In sum, Britain is a global player and likely to remain so (don't be seduced by the BRIC concept) and we should reverse the 'appologetic abbrogation of duty' which has characterised the last 65 years and behave like a global player, rather than appologising and thinking small...

*Yes I know that this is effectively a rolling brief and is updated regularly.

Last edited by Whenurhappy; 11th Jul 2010 at 12:55. Reason: mongness with spelling