PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wrong weight entry … again
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2010, 07:55
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PJ - I think I know you well enough to know that while this is an admirable target, you, especially after your time 'in the business' must recognise that it is unachievable in the world in which we live - akin to asking someone to move Mount Everest 2135m to the south.

Heavy has summed it up precisely. We have a very experienced and no doubt extremely capable Captain, as F/O, experiencing the familiar snowball effect. We all know how feeble it is when asked why you were 10 minutes late on pushback when the dispatcher said 'all was ready' (don't forget his 'on-time' bonus), and you try to explain the small discrepancy on the fuel uplift, the late toilet truck (F/O on radio trying to sort it) c/crew with a drunken pax, not enough orange juice - and then a new load sheet after all the prep is done - and not one of your immediate managers can understand why you got a bit screwed up. Their actions after brakes off on the runway may well bear scrutiny by the company but to change the 'day in the life' of a crew before push-back requires a total re-write of the way commercial aviation is done. Even if we adopt the US style of dispatcher here and off-load ALL non-flight orientated stuff to them, who is going to make the command decisions that inevitably crop up and will affect the actual flight once you have left the tower of babel?

I think the only solution is to get a major shift away from this paranoia of 'on-time' departures (with all the ensuing problems for slots/stands etc) and lift some of the pressures. Back to Mount Everest?