PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia Psychometric Testing
Old 11th Jul 2010, 07:28
enemyMiG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As has been mentioned, sep standards are among the aspects of ATC that require 100% knowledge. Daunting as this is, they are consolidated in the sims. There is nothing like seeing things in context to reinforce their importance and effectiveness.

Australian ATC has a strong focus on separation assurance. This approach looks at conflict avoidance rather than conflict resolution, as well as clever design of airspace, air routes etc. Examples of this are STARs (Standard Arrival Routes) and SIDs (Standard Instrument Departures), where aircraft come in and out of arerodromes on 'rails', racetrack patterns (to help avoid nose-to-nose) and cruising levels ( odd levels head east, even levels head west).

The idea is that were you to drop dead whilst on duty, aircraft would never hit according to the last instructions they received.
You may have aircraft on converging tracks and whilst they may be separated for the short term, they are relying on further instruction to keep them separated - this is not separation assurance.
I understand that many International controllers initially struggle with this concept (as well as Ab-initios!)

The rules and regs form the framework of the 'science' of ATC. The 'art' is the proactive way you apply these standards to get traffic moving.

Other checklists are available at your station to assist in everything from abnormal or emergency operations, to simpler things like conversion tables to cater for our American friends. You are expected to know the basics, but there is plenty of ref material around for these situations, as well as support from neighboring sectors and supervisers/ line managers.

Although in many respects it may be viewed as a perfectionist culture, there are many systems in place to help you do your job effectively, but most importantly, safely.

Ab-initios may be wet behind the ears, but we are not stupid, nor are we blind to the 'horror stories'. Although we appreciate any advice or warnings, our opinions, at the end of the day, will be formed by our own experiences (good or bad). I believe this is called 'life'.

Some have advised us to "run and not look back". If this is a career we'd like to have a crack at, what, then, are our options? Do we move to NZ and pay for a course with no guarantee of a job? Do we change our nationality and religion and become locals in some desert place?

Would anything get done anywhere if everyone decided not to attempt anything because it sounded too difficult?

For the moment, I think I'll just keep on keeping on

Last edited by enemyMiG; 11th Jul 2010 at 09:46. Reason: there/their