PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B777 Cross Wind Landings
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2010, 18:01
bakutteh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decrabbing fully during the flare is nice and dandy in steady crosswinds but fairly difficult to perfect in the real world with variable gusty crosswind on a hot day. This especially so when you only encounter such occasions infrequently and get to practise once annually on the simulator which probably cannot replicate real world environmental conditions during a hot gusty crosswindy day.

I would suggest crabbing down to about 500 ft AGL and then decrab early transitioning to a landing with the side slip method, touching down with the upwind gear first when the crosswind is 25kts or less. Above 25 kts, just bear with all the imperfections of an untidy decrabbing during the flare. Just bear in mind that during the decrab during the flare, you lose quite a bit of lift and would probably need to pitch up more, override the auto- retardation of the thrust levers just a tad to prevent a cruncher. Please understand I am no B777 guru; I left the B777 several years ago and I survived enough years on line operations on that equipment to share something here.

Last edited by bakutteh; 13th Jul 2010 at 04:58.