PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 10th Jul 2010, 17:21
DC-ATE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOAC -
I assumed 'approach' and 'landing configuration' were the same.
Maybe I should've used the term 'maneuvering' instead of 'approach'. As I recall, we did Clean, Maneuver, Approach, and Landing stalls.

My point was why not unstall the wing? Raising flap and maintaining attitude is one good way to worsen the situation.
The procedure for ANY stall recovery was to call for Take-off Power and Flaps 15. Like I said, that procedure may have changed since over 40 years ago !

Would a tailplane 'stall' not cause the nose to drop, thereby unstalling the wing? You make no mention of the nose dropping. My comment on the ice is because on most of the airtest stalls I have done there is always light buffet before the stick shaker.
Possibly, but we were already in a nose-down situation in the landing configuration. When the stick shaker finally went off, we were well into the stall. Not only was the nose down, but so was the whole aircraft !!

As I stated, had we not had what I thought to be sufficient altitude, I would never have let this happen. I guess I was trying to prove something.....which I did.