PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weathercock effect in turns
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2010, 20:29
PBL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for addressing my question, 911slf. I am not sure you have answered it in aerodynamic terms.

Originally Posted by 911slf
With a flexwing, be it a microlight or a hang glider, the pilot shifts his weight. If he shifts it to the left, he loads up the left wing, this increases the camber and drag on that wing relative to the right wing, and the aircraft turns left
I understand what it may mean for a dancer, say, to "shift his weight". He's got one foot on the floor; he takes it up and puts the other one down (or vice versa). However, without a floor, it is not clear to me what "shifting his weight" can mean dynamically, even though it seems to be colloquial usage amongst flexwing pilots.

I am aware that moving the control bar relative to the trike alters the roll attitude of the wing relative to the trike. That is simple geometry. What is not so clear to me is how the various force vectors change and why. Those must explain why the aircraft yaws (earth-axes), and continues to yaw into a turn.

You are suggesting that the down wing has increased drag. Yes, that is another way of saying that there is a moment created about the earth-z-axis. That must indeed happen if the aircraft is to yaw. But why that increased drag? The wing is going slower and has less lift; why should the drag have increased?

PBL