PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trip to Marseille
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2010, 13:00
HeliComparator

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
I've done the trip from LFML to UK many times, we normally go to west of Paris to avoid the hassle, refuelling in Tours (though that could be quite a long way off track, depending on where you are coming from in UK). This westerly route is much more pleasant for scenery, but of course you do have to get over the Massif Centrale which, from the North is very gradually ascending terrain, ending up at over 5000'. So you can start off with it being a lovely day with clouds 4000' above you, but gradually ending up with cloud touching ground, which is never a nice thing! I learnt about flying from that on the only time I did the trip from UK to LFML since our alternate was also the other side of the mountains - I now know its best to have an alternate on the departure side of the mountains!

Going East of Paris is normally the shortest route from E UK, possibly refuelling at Dijon, and no mountains to get over, however the Rhone valley is rather dull and if you stray into a nuclear power station zone (of which there are a lot in the Rhone valley) you will be intercepted and arrested!

LFML has a lot of VFR reporting points (these being different for helis and planks) but as fcp says there is good information on the SIA website SIA - La référence en information aéronautique. I would also agree that LFMA would be a better choice for general aviation unless you need IFR approach and/or the facilities of an international airport.

HC