PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question on forces acting on an aircraft in climb
Old 9th Jul 2010, 12:02
PBL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wizofoz
PBL, how does your view on Operationalism fit with the concept of Equivalence, which is one of the cornerstones of GR?
I am not sure what's being asked.

My view on Operationalism, which I take to be the view that concepts are to be identified with algorithms to measure them, is that it has been refuted in this form. The Stanford Encyclopedia author appears to think it can be rescued in some form.

My view on pure GR is that it is phenomenological, it describes. It doesn't assign causes. There are many equivalence principles you could be meaning; (a) that there is no difference between dynamics on the surface of the earth and dynamics inside a craft in free space which is accelerated at 1g by motors (b) that free fall in a gravitational field is independent of inertial mass; (c) ...... As far as I know, and that is not necessarily very far, (a) is refuted by tidal effects. GR in general appears still to be refuted by quantum theory (that is, it appears to be mutually incompatible and no one is prepared to give up quantum theory).

So what am I supposed to be "fit"ting? And does such a discussion fit at all on an aviation forum?

PBL