PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FSA article: a MATTER of DEGREE
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2010, 09:20
newagebird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have gone through the degree path and i have to agree with you gentlemen. The degree path only has a way of opening up the many different aspects of aviation, including the laws and regulations, structures and aircraft design. Theres no reason why a student at any other school cannot learn from the vast resources available to them.
Degree programs tend to spoon feed students but i as an instructor always tell them to look beyond all the marketing and the corporate statements that are made to lure them towards airline training. Its important for them to realise there is a different world out there too.

My point is that both paths are equally good in the experience they provide. A 150 hour pilot is a 150 hour pilot. It only matters what little things he has been taught by a good instructor, not what the overall program tends to teach ("Airline training"). You can set out SOPs and what not but what a student really needs is some quality one on one time with someone whos more interested in giving that guy/girl the best chance at someday becoming a proficient pilot. Unfortunately as more students want degrees, management prefers to cram them in to over crowded courses. That is when the problems start.

my 2 cents, newagebird