PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Haddon-Cave, Airworthiness, Sea King et al (merged)
Old 9th Jul 2010, 08:49
flipster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuc/SL

I would be suprised if many front-line crews had ever seen the SOUI and appreciated its worth. However, on both of my last ac, the SOUI was so out of date to be worthless, thereby proving your point. I remember asking an engineer about the overwieght landings of the Herc in AFG/IRQ and being told it was being noted and taken care of. Subsequently, I think the engineers reaslised that the crews had been beating the sh!t out of the frame on altar of operational necessity. I wonder if that's why we have so few left??

Tallsar,

Quite right! Please could you just clarify this last bit of your post.

Goodness knows thats why even the next variant of the Puma made in the mid 1970s had better rotor governing fitted and its been there for over 30 years in many other operators cabs!!! it will appear at last in the Puma Mk2 upgrade programme emerging now (40 years on!!!!!)
What was the improvement in the 1970s and did the RAF ac get it?
Or are you saying that the improvement was available in the 1970s but that the RAF ac are only getting it now (or at least soon)? I suspect the latter?