PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wrong weight entry … again
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2010, 00:38
Sqwak7700

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a problem with crews not having a rule of thumb, or gross error check in their heads. To me, that shows a lack of awareness of your aircraft, and far too much reliance on automation (of all types).

Getting the figures done by someone else (load controllers, dispatchers etc) is not a solution, it is merely an attempt to shift the blame in the event of error (they are human too).
It is not that simple Chimbu. Have you considered that maybe the procedures are so complex and attention-grabbing that no-one has any extra capacity to catch gross errors. Have you ever seen the video with the people passing a basketball around and you have to count the bounces and passes? It is a really good example of task saturation and how you can miss the "elephant" in the room.

And I'm not suggesting to include others in order to apportion blame but merely to have someone else with different set of distractions as a safeguard.

I'm merely asking has this type of incident occurred at a carrier with a dispatcher system in place, or does it at least happen less frequently? Only trying to find a solution. "Just don't do it again" type solutions have been proven to not work - otherwise we would still be flying around with long memorized checklists, no GPWS, and no gear warning systems.