PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The official Soccer World Cup 2010 Thread
Old 8th Jul 2010, 17:39
Lonewolf_50

Received 425 Likes on 267 Posts
There is an AP report that SA economic problems don't get all that much help from the cup.

South Africa economic woes unfixed by Cup - Business - World business - msnbc.com

JOHANNESBURG — South Africa may reap a windfall for defying the skeptics and successfully hosting the World Cup but the profits short term are heading elsewhere while unions gripe and the nation's already staggering unemployment rate climbs higher.

FIFA, the tournament's organizer, is happy - with near-record ticket sales and huge global TV audiences. Some of its major international sponsors also are reporting record sales.

Yet official jobless figures released during the tournament revealed that the extensive World Cup-related preparations - including several billion dollars worth of new stadiums and transport infrastructure - didn't prevent a further downturn.

According to Statistics SA, 79,000 non-farm jobs were lost in the first quarter of this year, and 242,000 in the 12 months ending in March. The jobless rate is above 25 percent - and more than 30 percent if those who've given up job-hunting are included.
You made a good point.
This world cup will be remembered for Vuvuzella's, a plastic pipe manufactured in China.
My wife commented yesterday that, even with just the TV on in my house, watching Spain/Germany, she found the vuvuzela drone intensely annoying -- and that was after I had turned the sound down a bit due to my own annoyance. As the announcers weren't brilliant, I hit the mute button for the remainder of the match.

Based on a few weeks being subjected to that racket, I'd not blame any soccer player, coach, or ref so subjected to making a Health and Safety/OSHA complaint.