PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2010, 10:28
pbeach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snaith Crew Photo

6 of the crew all received DFC's
From the London Gazzette:
14th March 1944 (p. 1225 of Iss. 35592) Acting Flight Lieutenant Ernest Robert HERRALD
(122125), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, No. 51 Squadron.
This officer has completed a large number of sorties, involving attacks on a variety of strongly defended targets. In pressing home his attacks he has displayed great courage and determination; qualities which were well in evidence when he attacked Magdeburg recently. On the outward flight the bomber was attacked by a fighter. Owing to some defect, Flight Lieutenant Herrald's gunners were unable to fire their guns to defend their aircraft. During the next half-hour the enemy attacked repeatedly but, each time, Flight Lieutenant Herrald out-manoeuvred his adversary.
In the end the fighter was successfully evaded and Flight Lieutenant Herrald continued to the target and bombed it. His skill and resource throughout this spirited action were worthy of the highest praise.

The rest of the crew, Dick Sibley, Stan Gibbon, Alf Kell and Bill Higgs received their DFC's at the same time on the 6th June 1944 (p. 2700 of Issue 36550). On what I assume was the completion of a full operational tour.

I think I will let rmventuri explain who the other member of the crew is - now we know.