PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Haddon-Cave, Airworthiness, Sea King et al (merged)
Old 8th Jul 2010, 09:05
Chugalug2

Received 237 Likes on 73 Posts
Tallsar:
Many of us have been part of an organisation that has avoided doing precisely that over the last 3 decades.
Include me out there, for I left the RAF in 1973! Hence my angry old man tendency to hold each and everyone younger than I to be personally responsible for what's happened to my baby - RAF Flight Safety! Out of order, totally unjustified and uncalled for, I have to admit. The guilty parties are relatively few, even over such a long time frame, but their effect has been devastating and deadly, literally. Nonetheless let me quickly add that I fully agree with you that the business of the Armed Forces is war and the winning of it. Flip reminds us of his personal experience as a tactical commander in that respect. If he or his ilk requires three engined take offs, people clinging to the outside of an aircraft in flight, overload operation or whatever to achieve the tactical goal so be it. The MAA should not in anyway inhibit that choice, other than to be advised of such operation outside of the RTS envelope in such circumstances no doubt. What such commanders don't want is that their aircraft are unfit for the purpose, are likely to fly out of control or spontaneously explode with no help from the enemy! That used to be a given, but not any more it would seem. What have you lot done to my baby? Oh, there I go again, sorry!