PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rant about deleted PID NDB/VOR approach
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2010, 07:32
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rant about deleted PID NDB/VOR approach

I was about to fly the CWS based YPID VOR procedure on X-Plane. I left my plates at home, so thought I'd just get if from the ASA site. Which is when I remembered that ASA cancelled it some time ago.

I think this is a clear illustration that ASA (or is it CASA or are both in this) are not really concerned with safety. The CWS VOR & NDB beacons would have to be among the most heavily used aids for training in Australia. It is the most accessible station for aircraft based at Moorabbin, Tyabb, Tooradin and probably Lilydale, Coldstream, and possibly even Essendon.

There used to be a procedure that everyone flew. So what will happen now? In order to maintain flying standards / flying proficiency and to conduct training, its an important beacon for most Melbourne based IFR pilots.

It will still be used for training but different schools will find different procedures from other airports to use - or fly the old procedure. So, we used to have aircraft flying known, predictable patterns that helped maintain safe aircraft separation but now its a scattergun of procedures of individual choice.

The rumour mill says that the current owners of Philip Is airport don't want to pay the CASA airport survey costs for the procedure, which is why it was deleted. And that's fair enough, but surely if one of the regulators that we users pay for was intent on providing services that promote safety, they would institute an non-aerodrome approach like exists at Yarrowee?

I can't keep using the old approach forever. Does anyone have current VOR/NDB approaches at suitably high altitudes that works?