PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South Africa ATC and the World Cup
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2010, 06:58
RAWLAW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Africa ATC and the World Cup

As we have been here since 1 July operating from FACT to FAPE and FALA I would say all has gone very well. The system and its people managed the traffic well HOWEVER last night going to FALE was a complete failure. Earlier in the day the CTOT/slots awards were all cancelled. It was a process of call when ready. FACT had 120 minute+ startup delays. Once underway the otherd shoe dropped. Inbound holding and subsequently FALE closed down. ATC could not provide any effective information on the extent of the closure other than to say all ramps were full. FADN (the old Durban airport) remained unavailable. Apparently about a dozen aircraft were turned away including one of the FIFA corporate plane, FIFA 3. He went to Lansaria. So many disappointed soccer fans that planned on going could not. These, like my boss, pumped alot of money into the economy here. What is obvious is that proper planning for all aircraft was not accomplished. The opportunity to utilize both airports, FALE and FADN, was not utilized. Truly a huge mess!!!!!
BTW, as the news is reporting just a few aircraft did not get in trust me it was closer to a dozen. At least 5 headed back to FACT while others went to FALA!!!