PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Descending once cleared for approach
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2010, 01:59
galaxy flyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Intruder

Compared to our ATC standards quite a normal way of doing business in Europe. I was inbound to Rome-Ciampino last week, cleared direct to CMP (VOR or NDB, I cannot remember, but NOT on the plate as either an IAF or a fix to a NoPT transition. And about 2 miles abeam the final course), about 135 degrees off the inbound approach course, as we approach CMP, Rome says, "cleared approach". I sort of expected such silliness, it was VMC and I'd seen this before. HDG mode, a swift cut at the inbound VOR approach course, ask the F/O to 'extend the line' and select APPR. Spot the field and fly a visual.

Anyway, why do European controllers do this kind of stuff? The OP should have been given an altitude along with that direct to the IAF with the approach clearance. The altitude should have been one recognizable on the plate and compatible with the approach. But, Noooooooo............

While I understand the maximum holding altitude, the difference in TAS between 5,000 and 8,000 cannot result in a spill-out of the airspace, even at maximum holding airspeed. And spilling out is better than a CFIT. Yes, the terrain here is likely forgiving, not always the case.

GF

OTOH, KTEB tower last month gave me traffic "over the Lincoln Tunnel". How is a pilot supposed to spot a tunnel from an airplane??