PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are awards such as the Duke of Edinburgh Award beneficial when applying?
Old 7th Jul 2010, 22:40
lemony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I'd say don't worry about all of that!

My initial application only contained my qualifications and my contact details the bare minimum you can put in. The main thing they are looking for is that you have the aptitude to do the job, not what you always do, although extra activites will help you in your interview, however if you prep well enough you will find things in your daily life that are acceptable to demonstrate competence without haveing to go to the effort of taking up extra activities just to do this.

A massive help to me was the part-time job I had whilst studying, nothing to do with aviation in the slightest but it helps immensely, especially when they start asking you about teamwork etc... I'd say 80% of my answers were related directly to my working life, and the rest towards my education.

Hope this helps you in your application, and the paper application to me is purely to see if you have the minimum academic credentials and nothing more. (Oh and I passed all selection stages)