PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In-depth pictorial expose with analysis on the New Russian Fighter
Old 7th Jul 2010, 21:56
John Farley

Do a Hover - it avoids G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The B word

Come on John, there are many more reasons why the Hawk was chosen over the Alpha Jet than the "1 engine vs 2 engine" debate.
I do not see how my post could be interpreted as suggesting that was the reason why the Hawk won. I certainly did not intend that - I merely made the point that a single engined aircraft was chosen over a twin despite the original spec requiring a twin.

I implied there were good reasons why BAe won the 'single is safer than a twin' debate in the context of that competition. Please note those words 'in the context of that competition'. I stand by that. It involved the thrust that was required for the mission, the effect of splitting that between two engines, issues with soak times before takeoff that are engine core diameter related, the complexity and power absorption of a gearbox that can run the aircraft services from either engine and many other things.

It may seem an obvious to thing to say that two will always be better than one but the engineering suggests otherwise in some cases.

If you still cannot see what I am getting at ask yourself whether you would enjoy throttling back to half thrust as you went down the cat in a T-45 at max AUW? Of course not. The only way that would be acceptable would be at a lighter weight.

You are quite entitled to hold your views but I happen not to share them.