PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alligator Airways engine failure?
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2010, 13:56
lemel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, I have flown the airvan and the lycoming in them was very reliable and resilient, more so than the continental. As a result they don't need to be babied (not sure if this is even a word) as much. Knowing this makes me wonder if the pilots are looking after the engines correctly. Also from memory, I think the manual states that the min oil for flight is something like 2 or 4 qz. Not sure of the exact number now, but I know it's quite low.*

Secondly, why arent the pilots at AA reporting this? *We all get the flight safety magazine and we all know that REPCON reports are completely confidential.*

Thirdly, if you guys at AA are getting paid below the award and are scared of getting fired, then just wait until you leave and get afap or the obuddman onto them. You will get back the money that you worked for and deserve.*

Fourthly, I can't believe there are pilots out there that would fly an aeroplane without checking the oil before each and every flight, no matter how many times they fly it in a day. There are four very simple things that will kill you if not done.*
1. Not enough fuel and leaving your fuel caps off.*
2. Not enough oil and leaving the oil cap off or not tightened correctly.*
3. Takeoff flap not set. *
4. Trim not set correctly for takeoff.
Before every flight, no matter how rushed I was, after loading the passengers i would check the fuel caps were on and I would check the oil cap was securely tightened. Only then would I get in the aeroplane for engine start. Once all my checks were completed and I was about to line up I would double check the flap and trim settings were correct.*

I had a great time flying up in kunners. Good crew, fun flying, crappy 207s, crappy boss and cp, but it was awesome! Believe it or not, I would love to do a bungles again (even though at the time I was sick to death of them). * **