PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Tech Logs
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2010, 21:50
Dan the weegie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

This is a fairly grey area to be honest but there are several "tech logs" involved with an aircraft. The ones the CAA want to be in an "approved" log book is the Airframe and Engine logs, in addition to some of the timed tasks. As far as I know these cannot be stored electronically but can definitely (and are frequently) duplicated electronically, printed off and stuck in the log book.

The daily logs that we all call "tech logs" on the other hand are not so cut and dry, there are some basic requirements like the 'A' Checks must be signed for and the pre-flight checks must also be signed for. In addition to that any defect must be signed for and any rectification or deferrment of a defect must be signed for.

So because you need a signature creation of a database would fundementally replicate the work that has already been done. You end up duplicating absolutely everything and it ends up being totally useless as the data part of it gets ditched as soon as you're busy, how do I know? I've tried a few times and it got fairly messy.

You can either be computerised or paper in the same way as you're either IFR or VFR try to be both and it all goes horribly wrong . How you become computerised is another story

As mad_jock mentions, we're 100% computerised having spent a significant effort on making it so (with the exception of the airframe/engine logs etc.), it's not something you'd want to do in house with out a lot of expertise on hand to make it work. Doing it externally is expensive, silly expensive but perhaps it's been done already? I don't want to say much more because of the advertising rules but if you're interested to know more then feel free to PM me with what you want to know and what you want to do.