PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR to Ukraine
Thread: VFR to Ukraine
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2010, 20:44
ikono

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>I have been curious about the aeroclub at Nalivaikovka (sp?), West of Kiev. >Actually, as a low-time ultralight pilot, I had considered flying there, but after >reading this thread I am beginning to doubt the wisdom AND affordability of such >a trip.

according to ukrainian rules (described in detail in AIP, see the link above), aircrafts with foreign registration can only fly between international airports using international routes. These routes are usually above 2750m AMSL and are in airspace C (transponder obligatory). Nalivaikovka is not an international airport, but UKLL and UKKK are. The problem is that at smaller fields nobody speaks English. Neither ukrainian FIS can speak English adequately. If you want to fly to Nalivaikovka, you need native certified "navigator" on board. Ask people at Nalivaikovka, some of them are navigators. Alternatively, you can fly VFR with an UL equipped with a transponder at 3000m AMSL I was allowed to fly 600m because I am ukrainian and Russian is my native language. But for Nalivaikovka I also need navigator on board

>As I understand their website, flying is rather informal there, somewhat like >ultralight operations in France.

Flying UL is not informal in Ukraine, at least not for ULs with ukrainian registration.

> many of them are apparently professionals from the various aviation industries in
> Kiev?
This is true for some of them.

>As you fly an ultralight, you may have been in touch with them?
Yes, I have. But you can also get in touch with them! (I would advise)

> NB I am surprised to find you were allowed at UKKK, Zhulyany airport. I should > think they'd not allow you in controlled airspace?
Stricktly speaking, I would normally be allowed in controlled airspace ONLY, my flight at 600m in uncontrolled airspace was a great exception which I had to arrange with Flight Coordination Department (See GEN 1.2, AIP) prior to the flight...

Any further questions are welcome. The whole story of my flight is here (in Russian):
Легальное пересечение границы на СЛА - Украинский авиационный форум